Is watching TV bad for babies?



A lot of debate surrounds this question. There have been doubts about how educational programs like “Brainy Baby” could really make a baby smarter. There have been speculations about how the rapid rhythm of TV commercials causes baby to become impatient and jumpy. On the other hand, television has grown to be such a part of daily life that some parents welcome TV time as break time for them and the baby. Television is also just one part of a lifestyle that unless viewed in excess can’t really be the main cause of baby development issues. Knowing all this, should we still let our babies watch TV?


My mom told me that when I was a baby, she’d sit me in my playpen for an hour or so while I would watch “Sesame Street.” Like many other children, I was fascinated with the characters and the catchy songs. When I was older I learned that my friends also went through a similar experience. Their parents would place them in front of the TV when “Sesame Street” would come on. I remember watching “Sesame Street” till I was in grade school. Over the years I had built such an affinity with the show because I really did learn something. More importantly, it helped me enjoy learning.


Here’s my take on TV for babies: It’s all right for as long as done in moderation. Babies and toddlers are like sponges. They are very eager to learn with their brains developing rapidly during their first two years. Engaging them in smart and playful activities helps them develop well. TV could be a part of this for as long as its use is monitored well by parents.


Expectations should also be managed. My 11-month-old enjoys watching “Brainy Baby” videos. He is at the stage where he appreciates how other children act. He mimics what they do, waving his hand when the kids in the show say goodbye. He gurgles and laughs when the babies do too. It’s fun and light educational TV. While educational programs like this can claim they help babies learn, I don’t rely solely on the DVDs to help sharpen my kid’s mind. What I like about programs like this is how they complement my child rearing style. I grew up on engaging and enjoyable educational programs, and I want my child to experience the same thing. They offer fun and variety without being overly stimulating.


Another critical point about watching TV with baby is that I don’t leave him alone. While you could strap down baby in his bouncer and pop the DVD in, it is much better when you sit together and interact. I find that my son enjoys it when I sing along to the show’s tunes and clap my hands to the beat. He becomes fascinated and tries to imitate me. Making educational TV a shared experience with baby is fun!


What about shows that aren’t meant for baby? I enjoy watching shows like “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy.” They’re not exactly shows for children, but they’re educational and non-violent. My son enjoys watching them too, and I like knowing that maybe he’ll learn his letters from solving word puzzles or grow up on trivia.


It can get tempting to turn the TV into a babysitter and I believe that’s where the negativity begins. I think using TV as a pacifier as well is a no-no. As building a relationship with TV does indeed start at a very young age, I feel it’s important to set boundaries. I certainly don’t want to let my baby grow up into a couch potato, so watching TV for hours at a time is not acceptable. From my experience, thirty minutes is fine. A baby’s attention span isn’t that long anyway, and he gets tired of watching after about half an hour.

I think a parent will know when too much TV is too much. It’s probably impractical to say “No TV at all” if TV has become part of a family’s lifestyle. What’s critical is that limits are set early on, such as what shows are to be watched and for how long the TV should stay on. With boundaries set and expectations managed, TV could actually help our babies indeed become a little more brainy. It could help him learn about the world around him, and could be a great complement to his main educator — his parents. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing at all.


Toni Tiu is hoping “Batibot,” one of her favorite children’s educational TV shows, comes back on air or at least comes out on DVD. She wishes to share with her baby some of her favorite “Batibot” moments — Kuya Bodjie’s storytelling, the “Bangkang Papel” song and the piece on how to make palitaw. Visit her personal blog at WifelySteps.com.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Archive

 

Momma & Sons.