Opal, my precious!


When I asked my son what is he cramming about and if I could be of help to him, he uttered it's completing his school requirement of having to write 9 essays and one would be about his and my birthstone-Opal. It got me thinking, I never valued the pink Opal I had as I have lost it. Then things just came back to my senses and how I, from now on, would love them Opal-s!

Opal is the birthstone for us born on the month of October. It is usually displayed as PINK. Apart form birthdays, it is also the stone given when celebrating the 14th year of marriage while others present it on the 18th celebration.

The word Opal was derived from what they thought of the Sanskrit "upala", meaning “precious stone,” and later the Greek derivative “Opallios,” meaning “to see a change of color.”

You may have heard that opal brings bad luck and as an evil stone. This was a myth after the novel ," Anne of Geuerstein", written in 1829, was released by Sir Walter Scott. How it greatly affect the precious stone? After months of the novel being published, the opal market crashed and prices were brought down at 50%.

Then fifty years later, after an amazing black opal was found in South Wales, Australia, the opal market revived. Australia is still the first source and main producer of black and white opal.

The bad luck about opal is a myth but logically if explained well, it was bad luck because when the jewelers did not understand how to handle the stones properly, it would often dry out and break while being cut, polished or mounted. It's usual when bad luck is coined when one is being unproductive!

Here in Asia, Opal is a symbol of hope. To the ancients, opal was a symbol of fidelity and assurance, and later on for religious emotional prayer. It was also believed to have a strong therapeutic value for eye diseases. When worn as an amulet, it would make the wearer immune from disease and increase the powers of the eyes and the mind. It also has the power to stop bleeding from the ruby or the power to cure diseases from the emerald.

This is the Opal I would so love to have! Like!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

 

Momma & Sons.